Mediated Printing Service
The Caltech Library Techlab provides members of the Caltech community hands-on access to innovative rapid prototyping technologies to support the Institute's research and educational mission. To adapt to the needs of the Caltech community to adhere to safety measures surrounding COVID-19, the Caltech Library Techlab has moved from an in-person, self-service space to a mediating printing service.
As before, the Caltech Library TechLab operates largely on the Caltech Honor Code. By using our service, you agree to the following policies as stated below. These policies establish the protocols in which current Caltech students, staff, faculty, and postdocs are able to submit a print request for our Mediated Printing Service.
- Print jobs must be submitted at least 5 to 7 business days [Monday-Friday] prior to requested deadline, if applicable.
- This allows time for any troubleshooting and restarting of print jobs, if necessary.
- Print jobs will be queued in the order they are received.
- Files must be submitted as a .STL or .GCODE
- If you are creating the .GCODE yourself be sure to prepare the job for printing on a Craftbot+. See: https://www.library.caltech.edu/techlab/cura-3-slice-your-model
- You may submit up to three files.
- If you have more than three .STL or .GCODE files, please group them in ZIP files under 20Mb each.
- At this time, requests must be for class or research purposes only
- Due our limited printing capacity, the Techlab cannot accept 3D print job requests meant for personal use.
3D printing services are open to Caltech students, staff, faculty, and postdocs with a current Caltech UID and Access account.
- Upon completion, users will receive an email notification when their print job is successfully completed and available for pick-up. The notification will include a link to schedule a pick-up appointment at the Sherman Fairchild Library (SFL) pick-up service window.
NOTE: Per COVID-19 safety regulations, face masks or covering will be required for all patrons coming to the service window.
Print requests must be scheduled and picked up within 5 business days of notification of completion. Printed objects left for more than 5 days will become property of the Techlab. At this time, the Techlab will not ship completed print jobs.
Users are responsible for creating their own 3D models. Staff can only assist with minor editing and repair to ensure a successful print.
The addition of support and rafts to a design to ensure successful printing is at the discretion of the Techlab staff handling your print request. Users are responsible for the removal of support structures.
The Caltech Library Techlab is not responsible for:
Small surface defects that occur during printing, such as bumps, holes, or stringing
Multi-part objects that do not fit properly together
Failed prints due to original model design
The Techlab reserves the right to decline a print request at any time and all submitted print requests must adhere to copyright and safety restrictions. These policies and procedures are subject to change.
Updated: October 12, 2020