Target Initiatives of the Caltech Library and Caltech Archives
The Library is in the midst of an ambitious makeover, rising to the twin challenges of constantly evolving 21st-century scholarship and ever increasing budgetary constraints. What are we working on? Find out more below. If you would like to learn more about a particular initiative, or to support it, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.
Research and scholarship
- Senior Thesis Prize - created in 2010 by The Friends to reward exemplary undergraduate theses
- Three-Minute Thesis - a competition for final year graduate students to explain their research in 3 minutes
- Instruction - Staff teach a variety of classes related to current practices in digital scholarship, such as citation managment, copyright essentials, plagiarism, and data management
- The Multimedia Conference Room is covered in wall-to-wall whiteboards. It includes a 90" HDTV monitor and digital projector with touch, annotation and capture capability.
- New 3rd floor SFL meeting room with a pilot virtual reality environment that is available to the entire Caltech community
- TechLab - 3-D printing, scanning, electronic kits and more
- The Grant and Naomi Venerable Fund - support for items related to the human condition, especially African-American or Native American cultures. This fund allowed the library to supplement its access to the African-American Newspapers Series.
- The Harold Roach Fund - support for items related to the humanities. This fund helped the library purchase access to HeinOnline, an image-based government document and legal research database.
- The Richard Feynman Memorial Book Fund for the purchase of physics books allowed the library to purchase a number of physics titles as well as the Springer Ebook Package in physics and astronomy.