- Campus Delivery
- Circulating Equipment
- Computers / Software
- Course Reserves
- DocuServe / Interlibrary Loan
- Library Account
- Library Classes
- Print on Demand
- Printing / Scanning
- Reference Services
- Renew Books
- Research Consultations
- Research Data Support
- Room Reservations
- Suggest a Book for Purchase
Print on Demand Services (PODS)
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The Caltech Library's Print on Demand Service (PODS) is available for Caltech students, faculty, or staff to print or bind a thesis, self-publish a work, produce marketing booklets/notepads, or information packets.
In addition to printing and scanning (color and B&W) that we offer, the Library employs the C.P. Bourg BB 3002 Binder to produce individual items or multiple copies. We can provide information on paper, colors, and size options.
For more information or to schedule a visit to see our service in action, please contact David McCaslin (x6412 or david AT library.caltech.edu).
- The Library provides printing services to students with theses.
- The cost is $0.10/page for black and white pages and $0.20 for color pages (single sided).
- Call x6437 for more information.
Caltech Graphic Resources
- This service is available to all members of the Caltech community.
- Call x3042 for a quote.
- Library printers: each student receives a $25 per academic quarter printing allotment. Per page printing is $0.10/ page for B&W, and $0.20 per page for color. Note that you cannot change the paper in the printers, however, and the paper is acid-free.
- Commercial services: Kinko's, Office Max, etc. Please contact them directly for price quotes.
We recommend acid-free paper with a high linen content for long-term preservation of your paper copy. This is available at various office-supply stores.
Thesis Binding through PODS
- Hardcover or paperback options available.
- Turnaround time is 3 business days. Rush service (less than 3 business days) is available for an additional fee.
- Pay Library directly.
- Pick up available at Sherman Fairchild Library.
- UPS delivery is available at an additional cost.
- For volumes that exceed 1.5 inches in width (330 single-sided/660 double-sided pages), two volumes of thesis will be produced with each volume a separate charge.
- You can supply the Library with the PDF of your thesis and the Library can print the thesis (for an additional charge) and bind it.
- $15/hardcover volume (8½" x 11" size) with text on spine and up to 6 lines of text on cover.
- $5/paperback volume (size options available); text on spine and cover are included in price.
For style options, please stop by the DocuServe Office, call x6437, or email pods AT library.caltech.edu
Have a work you would like published?
PODS offers the Caltech community with the opportunity to self-publish. Submissions can include anthologies, textbooks, cookbooks, novels, or research works.
- Our binding service can create a high-quality paperback edition of your work with a custom cover and size to your specifications.
- On-site cover design options.
- Fast turnaround on production. Copies can be printed/bound individually at the point of sale or in large quantities.
- Pricing varies based on a number of factors including the length of the book and physical dimensions of book. Please contact us to schedule a consultation or a quote (x6412 or email pods AT library.caltech.edu).
Please note: The Library does not offer editorial advice on content. The Caltech Library's Publish on Demand Service should not be considered a university press or publishing house but can assign an ISBN to the work. For more information on how to obtain an ISBN, visit our ISBN Libguide.
The author of any self-published work will retain copyright of the work. Please review the PODS Copyright Agreement.
The Caltech Library can work with you to create publications for your needs or repair old works. In some cases, all that is needed is a PDF of the work and minimal consulation with our staff to produce your request. For file formats other than PDF, please contact us. Generally, requests can be completed between a few hours and a few business days.
Examples of special requests:
- Marketing materials
- Information packets for conferences or meetings
- Big T yearbook* or other select Caltech publications
- Gift book to commemorate a retirement or accomplishment
- Rebind a book
- Reprint a book in the public domain (or to which you hold the copyright)
* A paperback reproduction of a Big T yearbook for the years 1920 through 1979 is $20.00. For Big T yearbooks after 1979, a paperback reproduction is $25.00.
Contact the Library to schedule a consulation or to place an order (x6412 or email pods AT library.caltech.edu).
Other Printing/Copying/Scanning Services
- Self-service photocopies are available only to current Caltech students, faculty, and staff.
- There are self-service photocopiers on the first floor of the Sherman Fairchild Library. Find more information here.
- Printing is available to Caltech students, faculty, and staff for 10¢ per B&W sheet (8½ x 11 inch) or 20¢ per color sheet (8½ x 11 inch).
- The public printers only use 8½ x11" white plain paper.
- For departmental copying or print request requiring larger paper or special paper, please contact us (x6437 or email docuserve AT library.caltech.edu) for more information.
- Self-service microform readers are located on the 1st floor of the Sherman Fairchild Library. Non-Caltech users must make prior arrangements to use this equipment. Please contact our staff for assistance (x6437 or email docuserve AT library.caltech.edu).
- Microform to paper or digital format by library staff: 20¢ per page
- Self-service microfiche to paper copying (Caltech patrons only): 10¢ per page
- Scan papers/books (copyright restrictions may apply) to a digital format by library staff
- Contact us for pricing (x6437 or email docuserve AT library.caltech.edu)
- Self-service scanning options are also available here (free of charge)