- Adopt-a-Text / Course Reserves
- Campus Delivery
- Circulating Equipment
- Computers / Software
- DocuServe / Interlibrary Loan
- Funder Compliance Support
- Instruction Program
- Library Account
- Printing / Scanning
- Publishing Program
- Reference Services
- Renew Books
- Research Data Support
- Room Reservations
- Suggest a Book for Purchase
Course Reserves (formerly Adopt-a-Text)
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Caltech is no longer using Adopt-a-Text for faculty, instructors, and staff to place textbook orders. We are moving this service to our Canvas platform under the "Course Reserves" tab for each course.
Orders for books that are required purchases for classes will still be sent to MBS Direct, an online bookstore. Students are free to purchase their books from MBS or any other bookseller.
Required textbooks for students to purchase for Winter 2020-2021 can be found here and will be updated frequently.
The same "Course Reserves" tab can be used to request course reserves. For Winter 2020-2021 and on, the Library is providing digital course reserves and all physical reserves will be housed at Sherman Fairchild Library only. Materials will circulate for 24 hours, then remain quarantined for 24 hours upon return. The deadline for Winter 2020-2021 requests is December 23rd.
- Note: If you have not used the "Course Reserves" tab in Canvas, it may not be visible under your "Home" options. In order to "publish," click on this short video for easy step-by-step instructions. You must have the Canvas role of Instructor, TA or Admin in order to add reserves to a class.
Since physical books on course reserve will be unavailable to students studying from home, the Library will attempt to acquire a digital copy whenever possible. When none is available for purchase, the Library can digitize up to 30% of any physical books and make it available under the "Course Reserve" tab in Canvas. If more is than 30% of the book is required, please contact us at coursereserves [at] library.caltech.edu.
Additionally, during the COVID-19 crisis, the Library has an expedited process for acquiring and providing access to audiovisual materials for online classroom and class-related use.
- If a requested item is available from a commercial streaming service, the Library will license access for campus use.
- If a requested item is only available in physical form (e.g. DVD, Blu-ray), the Library will acquire the item and make it available online, for classroom and class-related use only.
- Click here for additional information.
DocuServe request should only be used for individual research requests. Any material that your students will need to access for your courses should be requested via Canvas' "Course Reserve" tab. Scanned reserves requests will be made available in Canvas at the start of term. Please note that scanning requests are subject to applicable copyright mentioned above.
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one assistance on how to publish and/or submit Course Reserves, please contact us at library [at] caltech.edu, and we will be happy to help you.