- Campus Delivery
- Circulating Equipment
- Computers / Software
- Course Reserves
- DocuServe / Interlibrary Loan
- Library Account
- Library Classes
- Print on Demand
- Printing / Scanning
- Reference Services
- Renew Books
- Research Consultations
- Research Data Support
- Room Reservations
- Suggest a Book for Purchase
Circulating Library Technology
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Borrow laptops, iPads, Kindles, and more
The Caltech Library offers a variety of technology for check out at the Sherman Fairchild Library circulation desk. Most technology can be reserved. Please see "Reserving Equipment" for more information.
There is no charge to check out any of the equipment but you may be charged an overdue fine or replacement fee if items are not returned on time, damaged, or lost.
Caltech Library Policy on Borrowing Technology
- At check out, you will need to read and sign a "Laptop/eDevice Policy & Authorization" form.
- Different eDevices have different loan periods so please verify the due date before leaving the library. Overdue items will result in fines and blocked accounts.
- If you believe you cannot return the item on time, please contact the library.
- All items should be returned directly to the Sherman Fairchild Library circulation desk.
- The item must not be left unattended for any reason.
- You assume full responsibility for the item while it is checked out to you.
Please note: as of June 19, 2017, the Library will no longer be circulating iPads.
Laptops (3 day loan period)
- The laptops are configured for on campus use. Connecting to an off-campus network is not available. If you need to use one of these laptop off-campus, please contact the SFL circulation desk.
- Dell Latitude E4310
- Processor: Intel Core i5-520M Dual Core 2.40GHz 3MB
- Memory: 4.0GB, DDR3-1333 SDRAM, 2 DIMMs
- Video Card: Integrated UMA Graphics
- Hard Drive: 128GB Dell Mobility Solid State Drive, 2.5MM
- Hard Drive Controller: Fingerprint Reader and Contactless Smartcard Reader
- Floppy Disk Drive: 13.3" HD(1366x768) Anti-Glare LED w/ Camera, WWAN Ready
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW for Latitude E4310 (313-9857)
- Processor Cable: Intel WiFi Link 6200 (802.11a/g/n 2X2) 1/2 MiniCard
Kindles (7 day loan period)
- If you believe you need the Kindle for longer, you must bring the Kindle in to the Sherman Fairchild Library and re-check it out.
- Browse the Kindle Titles in the Caltech Library catalog.
- You are permitted to select titles to be added to the Kindle, while it is checked out to you. The total cost of these additions must not be more than $25.00 during the loan period. If the additions to the Kindle, while checked out to you, total more than $25.00, your bursar account will be charged the exceeding amount.
- If there is a title you are interested in and its purchase price is more than $25.00, please djm [at] caltech.edu (contact the Library). The Library will review the title and determine if it can be added.
- Magazines, games, or other applications are not permitted to be added to the Kindles.
- While you are encouraged to add a title of interest to our collection, the Library reserves the right to remove titles that fall outside of the scope of the Caltech Library's collection development policy.
Digital Cameras (24 hour loan period)
- 1 Canon Vixia Camcorder
- 32GB internal flash memory
- Recording time on internal memory varies based on chosen Mbps
- Standard SD memory card can be inserted if desired (not supplied by the Library)
- 1 Canon Rebel Camera
- 8GB memory card is provided but must be returned with camera
- 2 GoPro HERO 4 Cameras - each camera includes:
- Clear GoPro case
- 64 GB microSD card (must be placed back in camera when returned)
- microSD adapter
- GoPro wand attachment
- USB charge cable
- Quick start guide (also available for download - select HERO 4 Silver)
- Microfiber cleaning cloth
- ALL parts must be present when returning the camera to the Library.
- 2 Freetalk Conference web cameras
- Soft case
- USB 2.0 connectivity
- Compatible with PC and Mac
- Internal microphone
- Quick start guide (included in case)
- 1 Tripod for Canon Vixia or Canon Rebel
Additional equipment/hardware available (24 hour loan period unless otherwise indicated)
- Dell M409WX Projector (User Manual)
- Epson 1771w Projector (User Manual)
- 84 inch projector screen
- Ethernet cables
- Mac/PC keyboards and mice
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPads
- Apple Mac HDMI and VGA adapters (3 hour checkout only)
- Laser pointers/presenters (3 hour checkout only)
- Webcam (3 hour checkout only)
- Microphone (3 hour checkout only)
- TI-89 Graphing Calculator (3 hour checkout only)
- Audio cables
- Power adapters (Dell/Mac)
- Playstation 4 controllers (3 hour checkout only) - Playstation 4 consoles installed on 2 large televisions on Millikan 9.
Laptops, Kindles, iPads, cameras, and projectors may be reserved under the following conditions:
- The request must be made at least one week prior to the desired reservation period. Reservations after one week will not be considered.
- Kindles cannot be reserved ahead of time.
- We will do our best to accommodate all reservation requests but, due to demand, we cannot guarantee all reservations will be confirmed.
- Reserved equipment cannot be renewed and must be returned at the end of the checkout period.
- Computer accessories such as keyboards, mice, adapters, and cables are available first come, first serve and cannot be reserved.
- Complete reservation request form.