- Campus Delivery
- Circulating Equipment
- Computers / Software
- Course Reserves
- DocuServe / Interlibrary Loan
- Library Account
- Library Classes
- Print on Demand
- Printing / Scanning
- Reference Services
- Renew Books
- Research Consultations
- Research Data Support
- Room Reservations
- Suggest a Book for Purchase
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The Caltech Library extends borrowing privileges to specific groups of users as defined below. Members of the Caltech community can activate their library accounts by logging in with their access.caltech credentials. If you are having problems logging in, please contact circ [at] library.caltech.edu. Affiliates of Caltech may register only between the hours of 8am and 4:30pm weekdays at the SFL circulation desk. Please call ahead (626-395-3405) to verify staff availability and bring this completed form (MASTER NON-CIT REG FORM.pdf).
Privileges regarding length of loan, ability to renew, and place holds will vary for each group. Specifics can be found on the borrowing details page.
All members of the Caltech community are granted library borrowing privileges. Individuals requesting borrowing privileges will be expected to show valid Caltech picture identification.
- Caltech Faculty
- Caltech Postdoctoral Scholars
- Caltech Graduate Students
- Caltech Undergraduate Students
- Caltech Staff
- Caltech Trustees
- Caltech Emeritus Faculty
The Caltech Library extends borrowing privileges beyond the Caltech community on a selective basis. Individuals of the groups listed below should present proper identification showing their affiliation and must register for access at the SFL Circulation Desk between 8am and 4:30pm weekdays. Please call ahead (626-395-3405) to confirm staff availability or for more information.
Those who qualify for a borrower's card may not let other visitors into the Sherman Fairchild Library during evening and weekend hours. If a Caltech affiliate with a borrower card does this, their card and privileges may be revoked.
For those without an access.caltech account, information on accessing electronic resources can be found on the Computing Resources Policy page
- JPL regular staff
- Caltech/JPL retired staff
- Caltech Secondary and Postsecondary Summer Program Students
- Caltech Volunteers (Caltech ID required)
- Immediate Family Members of current Caltech Faculty, Graduate Students, and Staff
- 14+ years of age
- Caltech Faculty Proxy Borrowers
- Current Caltech Staff ID and faculty signature required.
- Current Caltech Alumni Association Members
- Contact the Alumni Association at 626-395-6592 for information.
- Caltech Associates
- Contact the Caltech Associates Office at 626-395-3919 for information.
- Friends of the Caltech Library (Silver and Gold tiers)
- Caltech Earthquake Associates
- Borrowing in Geology Library only. Contact the Office of Development and Alumni Relations at 626-395-3298.
- Carnegie Observatories Staff
- Faculty from USC
- requires documentation of current status
- Faculty from Cal Poly Pomona, Claremont, Occidental, and Whittier Colleges
- Initiate application at their home library
- Huntington Library Readers
- Polytechnic School Faculty
- ArtCenter College of Design students and faculty
- USC Graduate Students
- Requires documentation of current status
- $25.00 fee for a 6 month card for borrowing privileges only (evening, weekend and holiday building access not included).
- Thirty Meter Telescope Staff