Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The Caltech Library extends borrowing privileges to specific groups of users as defined below. Members of the Caltech community can activate their library accounts by logging in with their access.caltech credentials. If you are having problems logging in, please contact circ [at] library.caltech.edu. Affiliates of Caltech may register only between the hours of 8am and 4:00pm weekdays at the SFL circulation desk. Please call ahead (626-395-3405) to verify staff availability and bring this completed form (MASTER NON-CIT REG FORM.pdf).
Privileges regarding length of loan, ability to renew, and place holds will vary for each group. Specifics can be found on the borrowing details page.
All members of the Caltech community are granted library borrowing privileges. Individuals requesting borrowing privileges will be expected to show valid Caltech picture identification.
- Caltech Faculty
- Caltech Postdoctoral Scholars
- Caltech Graduate Students
- Caltech Undergraduate Students
- Caltech Staff
- Caltech Trustees
- Caltech Emeritus Faculty
The Caltech Library extends borrowing privileges beyond the Caltech community on a selective basis. Individuals of the groups listed below should present proper identification showing their affiliation and must register for access at the SFL Circulation Desk between 8am and 4:00pm weekdays. Please call ahead (626-395-3405) to confirm staff availability or for more information.
Those who qualify for a borrower's card may not let other visitors into the Sherman Fairchild Library during evening and weekend hours. If a Caltech affiliate with a borrower card does this, their card and privileges may be revoked.
For those without an access.caltech account, information on accessing electronic resources can be found on the Computing Resources Policy page
- JPL regular staff
- Caltech extended community
- Caltech/JPL retired staff
- Caltech Secondary and Postsecondary Summer Program Students
- Caltech Volunteers (Caltech ID required)
- Immediate Family Members of current Caltech Faculty, Graduate Students, and Staff
- 14+ years of age
- Caltech Faculty Proxy Borrowers
- Current Caltech Staff ID and faculty signature required.
- Caltech Associates
- Contact the Caltech Associates Office at 626-395-3919 for information.
- Friends of the Caltech Library (Silver and Gold tiers)
- Lifetime Caltech Alumni Association Members (joined prior to June 1, 2018)
- Caltech Earthquake Associates
- Borrowing in Geology Library only. Contact the Office of Development and Alumni Relations at 626-395-3298.
- Thirty Meter Telescope Staff
- External academic community
- Carnegie Observatories Staff
- Huntington Library Readers
- ArtCenter College of Design students and faculty