- Adopt-a-Text / Course Reserves
- Campus Delivery
- Circulating Equipment
- Computers / Software
- DocuServe / Interlibrary Loan
- Funder Compliance Support
- Instruction Program
- Library Account
- Printing / Scanning
- Publishing Program
- Reference Services
- Renew Books
- Research Data Support
- Room Reservations
- Suggest a Book for Purchase
Off-Campus Access to Library Resources
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
All Caltech Libraries are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please refer to our Off-Campus Access LibGuide for more information about Library services during this time.
Only current Caltech students, faculty and staff have remote-access privileges to Caltech-licensed library resources.
Obtain an up-to-date access.caltech account.
- Comprehensive information on access.caltech accounts.
- Please contact IMSS if you have forgotten your access.caltech username, password, or both.
Use proxied links on Library web pages.
Links to resources on Library webpages, including LibGuides, the Library Catalog, and the Journals list, are automatically proxied. Enter your access.caltech username and password to proceed to the resource of interest. When clicking on a proxied link for the first time in the session, remote users are prompted for their access.caltech username and password. One successful login establishes access to most Caltech-licensed resources.
- Information about VPN accounts and installation of VPN software.
- You must use the “Caltech-Tunnel All” option (Option 2).
- VPN slows down connections to all IP addresses. For most library resources, proxied links are the preferred method.
- The Caltech Library Proxy Bookmarklet can be installed in a browser and will allow users to reload pages through the Proxy to determine if the Library has access to a specific electronic resource.
- Users will be prompted for their access.caltech credentials when reloading the page with the Proxy.
- Please visit the Proxy Bookmarklet Library Guide for instructions on how to install in desktop browsers and iPads.
- If you use Google Scholar, you can configure it to have the Caltech Connect links appear off-campus by changing your Scholar Preferences.
- Scroll down to the "Library Links" section. Type Caltech in the search box and click on "Find Library". Check the box to the left of "California Institute of Technology - Caltech Connect" and then click the "Save Preferences" button.
- See this FAQ for additional information about configuring Google Scholar and Casa
- EndNote Click is a browser plugin developed by Clarivate, the parent company of Web of Science. It works behind the scenes in your browser to get you the best PDF copy of articles that you're looking for.
- EndNote Click can be used both on or off campus and uses existing authentication infrastructure to leverage library subscriptions.
JPL staff: please contact the JPL Library (library [at] jpl.nasa.gov) for available options.
Caltech staff at JPL: Our proxy server will not work for you at JPL. You will need to use VPN.
You are a remote user if your IP address falls outside the range 131.215.*.*. This includes Caltech offices at LIGO, OVRO, and Palomar.
- If you use the Astrophysical Data System, it's worth setting your preferences so that Caltech Connect links appear in your search results. You can do this by signing in to your account at ADS.
- Select "User Account Update" and then "Library Links Settings". Use the drop down menu to select "California Institute of Technology" as your library link server. Once you've saved your settings, the Caltech Connect button will display in your search results.