Off-Campus Access to Library Resources
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Only current Caltech students, faculty and staff have remote-access privileges to Caltech-licensed library resources.
Obtain an up-to-date access.caltech account.
- Comprehensive information on access.caltech accounts.
- Please contact IMSS if you have forgotten your access.caltech username, password, or both.
Use links on the library web pages.
Links on the library web pages (including links found in the library catalog and those on the Find E-Journals page) are proxied. When clicking on a proxied link for the first time in the session, remote users are prompted for their access.caltech username and password. One successful login establishes access to most Caltech-licensed resources.
- Information about VPN accounts and installation of VPN software.
- You must use the “Caltech-Tunnel All” option (Option 2).
- VPN slows down connections to all IP addresses. For most library resources, proxied links are the preferred method.
LibX Caltech edition is an extension which will let you access the library’s resources directly from your browser. It adds a Caltech Library icon to the upper right corner of your browser with an interface to search the library catalog and will also add a right-mouse context menu to reload the current page using the library’s proxy server (to allow for off-campus access to resources which require a Caltech IP address).
Version 2.0 of LibX is available for Firefox and Chrome, but the Firefox version is running into difficulty with the new way Firefox is verifying extensions. If you're only interested in the proxy support, you might want to use the bookmarklet instead.
- If you use Google Scholar, you can configure it to have the Caltech Connect links appear off-campus by changing your Scholar Preferences.
- Scroll down to the "Library Links" section. Type Caltech in the search box and click on "Find Library". Check the box to the left of "California Institute of Technology - Caltech Connect" and then click the "Save Preferences" button.
- If you use the Astrophysical Data System, it's worth setting your preferences so that Caltech Connect links appear in your search results. You can do this by signing in to your account at ADS.
- Select "User Account Update" and then "Library Links Settings". Use the drop down menu to select "California Institute of Technology" as your library link server. Once you've saved your settings, the Caltech Connect button will display in your search results
JPL staff: please contact the JPL Library (library [at] jpl.nasa.gov) for available options.
Caltech staff at JPL: Our proxy server will not work for you at JPL. You will need to use VPN.
You are a remote user if your IP address falls outside the range 131.215.*.*. This includes Caltech offices at LIGO, OVRO, and Palomar.