Room Reservation Policy
**SFL Group Study Rooms are now available during weekday hours SFL is open, Monday - Friday 10am-6pm. Reservable outdoor study spaces are also still available.**
Note: Starting September 27, 2021 SFL Group Study Rooms and Individual Study Spaces will be available from 8am-12am Monday-Friday and Saturday/Sunday 10am-7pm. ALL study spaces in SFL will require a reservation.
Library spaces, conference rooms, and group study rooms are intended for instruction, collaborative and research purposes. These rooms are not intended to be used by anyone for non-Caltech purposes. Beyond these general guidelines, specific policies apply to rooms in Millikan and the Sherman Fairchild Library (SFL), as detailed in the reservation pages.
For Caltech activities that fall outside the Library’s guidelines, more suitable spaces may be available at other campus locations. Please refer to the website listing the reservable classrooms, conference rooms, and venues across campus.
Additionally, the follow policies are in place for reservable Library rooms:
- Study spaces are for the use of Caltech students, staff and faculty only.
- Approved Caltech masks must be worn at all times.
- Group study rooms and other library spaces are not available to be the meeting place for regularly scheduled classes.
- No room or space may be used for events involving K-12 students.
- Food or consumption of food is not currently allowed in any library building. Alcohol is not permitted in any library space.
- Reservations may be made up to three months in advance for Group Study Rooms and 48 hours in advance for Individual Study Spaces at http://libcal.caltech.edu/
- Reservations are limited to 3 hours per person per day. Special arrangements may be possible, please library [at] caltech.edu (contact us).
- To ensure that a room will be available, make reservations in advance, weekdays before 4:00 pm. Reservations made after that time cannot be guaranteed for that evening, nor those made after 4:00 pm on Friday for the weekend.
- Reservations will be forfeited if not present within 15 minutes of the reserved time.
- The Multimedia Conference Room is available through special request. library [at] caltech.edu (Contact us) for such requests.
- Group Study Rooms and Individual Study Spaces may be available for walk-in use; however, check with circulation staff because a room may have a reservation. You will be asked to leave the room if someone else has a reservation for it.
- Rooms are intended for use by groups; Library staff may bump a single occupant for a group.
- Please don't leave your personal belongings behind. If you leave personal belongings in the room unattended, they will be subject to removal. If we cannot contact you by the end of the day, they will be sent to the Security Office and you will be required to pick them up there.
The following spaces may be available for special use. Please library [at] caltech.edu (contact us) for information.
- 9th floor of Millikan
- SFL Amphitheater
- Multimedia Conference Room (MCR) in Sherman Fairchild Library
Fall 2021 large capacity spaces can be reserved for 4 hours at a time. The last reservation ends at midnight, or 15 minutes before the Library closes, whichever is earlier. Preference is given to reservations made at least 48 hours in advance. These are limited resources that serve the entire community. We reserve the right to re-evaluate long term/weekly reservations in order to provide equitable access to all groups.
Revised Sept. 30, 2021