The Library has an existing collection of audiovisual materials that can be placed on reserve in the Sherman Fairchild Library. Titles can be found through LibSearch. You can use the purchase suggestion form or email us at library [at] caltech.edu with acquisition suggestions.
During the COVID-19 crisis the Library has an expedited process for acquiring and providing access to audiovisual materials for online classroom and class-related use.
- If a requested item is available from a commercial streaming service, the Library will license access for campus use.
- If a requested item is only available in physical form (e.g. DVD, Blu-ray), the Library will acquire the item and make it available online, for classroom and class-related use only.
- To view audiovisual materials through the Canvas course site, students must log in using their access.caltech credentials when prompted. See G Suite Tools for Education for more details.
Audiovisual materials that are made available for online use are restricted as follows:
- All use conforms to the provisions of the United States Copyright laws, including its Fair Use provisions
- Materials will only be available to students enrolled in the class for which the material is required, and only for the duration of the term.
- All student access is provided after Caltech Access authentication and only through their Canvas course site.
- Only media owned by the Caltech Library will be made available online through Canvas. Instructors can donate a copy to the Library, or request that the Library purchase a copy.
- Only the instructor for a class may request to have material digitized and placed online.
- All audiovisual material made available online must have a clear pedagogical purpose. Requests may be rejected if this is not clear from the course syllabus, or an appropriate explanation provided.
For more information and to place digitization requests please email coursereserves [at] library.caltech.edu or submit your request directly by visiting: http://ares.library.caltech.edu/ and clicking on the "Course Reserve" tab under your Home list within your course. Click Here for a helpful video on how to get started.