Scanning in the Library
Using the Ricoh Printers at SFL
Scanning to Email
- Log into RICOH machine.
- Click "Use Device Functions”.
- Push “Scanner” button on the left.
- Load material to be scanned in feed tray or place on glass.
- Click “manual entry” under “Email” tab to enter email address.
- Click “Scan Settings” on left to change document settings (color, resolution, size etc.)
- Click Start. Document(s) will scan.
- If scanning from the glass rather than sheet feeder, you need to press # after scanning the last page of the document.
Using the Xerox Printers at SFL
Scanning to Email
- From the printer screen select "Email".
- Click "Alternate Login" and login with your IMSS username and password.
- Click either "Add Me", which will add your Caltech email address, or "New recipient", to enter a different email address.
- The default settings are for a 1-sided PDF that will auto-detect color.
- To color settings or to scan a 2-sided PDF use the buttons at the bottom of the screen to adjust the settings. You can't select 2-sided if you're going to scan from the flatbed.
- To change the filetype settings if you want to scan to a JPEG or TIFF or create a searchable PDF, click on the "Email Options" tab.
- If you are scanning from the flatbed and want to include multiple pages in the same PDF, go to the "Job Assembly" tab and select "Build Job", then select "On" and "Save". Now, when you scan your individual pages they will be saved to a list. When you're done, click "Submit the Job" and it will send one file, instead of one file per page.
- Place the item you want to scan either face-up on the sheet feeder, or face down on the flatbed.
- If you're scanning multiple pages from either the sheet feeder or using the "Build Job" option, please be aware that there is a size limit on emails sent, so you may need to break your scan apart into multiple scans
- Start your scan by pushing the big green Start button.
Using the Epson Flatbed Scanners with Windows (SFL 1st floor)
Scanning to PDF using Acrobat
- Click Start -> All Programs -> Acrobat X Pro -> Adobe Acrobat X Pro
- Put your item face-down on the flatbed scanner
- Click Create -> PDF from Scanner -> Autodetect Color Mode (unless you specifically want a black & white or grayscale document)
- After you've scanned the first page you'll have the choice to save the scan or add another page.
Scanning using EPSON Scan
- Click Start -> All Programs -> EPSON -> EPSON Scan -> EPSON Scan
- In the upper right corner is a drop-down for Scanning Mode. The default is Full Auto Mode. Full Auto Mode will scan one image, save it as a JPEG in your "My Pictures" directory and then close the application. If this is what you want, just click "Scan".
- Otherwise change the mode to Home, Office or Professional mode which will allow you to scan multiple images in a row, preview scans, select the area of the screen to be scanned, or change settings such as file type, file location, or resolution.
Using the Standalone (USB) Epson Flatbed Scanner (SFL 1st floor)
With a MacBook Air
- Plug USB cable into the MacBook Air
- Open Applications Folder
- Select "EPSON Scan"
- By default it will use Full Auto Mode. Full Auto Mode will scan one image, save it as a JPEG in your "My Pictures" directory and then close the application. If this is what you want, just click "Scan".
- Otherwise select "Customize" to scan multiple images in a row, preview scans, select the area of the screen to be scanned, or change settings such as file type, file location, or resolution.
With your own computer
Negative and slide holders are available for checkout at the SFL circulation desk.
- To use the scanner with your own computer, you'll need to download and install the Epson Perfection v600 Photo drivers.
- Once the drivers are installed, you may use the EPSON Scan instructions above or scan with Adobe Acrobat, if you have it installed.